Friday, February 3, 2012

A Plea to all Fauxtographers

I'm a amateur photographer, just a beginner who has only been shooting for just over a year.  Like you, my family and friends are always encouraging me to go pro and become a photographer for hire.  They tell me I'm great and could make lot's of money at it.  Believe it or not, we all get that sort of praise and encouragement as soon as we let it be known we have an interest in photography, but the truth is, only a handful of people are talented enough to become great.  The rest of us have to settle for being as good as we possibly can be.  I'm pretty confident in saying that my photography doesn't completely suck and I know a number of people in my life that are in business, and I think I could do it even better than them.  So, why I haven't opened up shop and taken advantage?  This isn't because I lack confidence in myself, or out of any sort of fear like a lot of people in my life think.  It's out of respect, not only for the people working in the photography profession, but for my own photography as well. Fact is, that like most novice photographers, I possess about 5% of the skill, knowledge, equipment, experience, etc needed to be a professional photographer.  Also, I am perfectly happy and satisfied with what I am doing currently with my photography.  When I feel an itch I am able to scratch it, when I see where I fall short, I can work to improve.  Sometimes I feel as though I am the only person with a DSLR camera that resides in the same realm of reality that I do.

Right now the line between professional portrait/event/wedding/family/newborn etc photographers, and amateurs with a new found "passion" for photography reads about as clear as mud for the average person.  "Photography Businesses" are popping up left and right without care or concern about what it is they are actually doing.  These "photographers" (and I use this term loosely) are snapping pictures like crazy, charging a ridiculously small fee, burning the images to a disk and all the while, making the world a happier place.  What could be the harm in this?  I can tell you what harm is being done.  Not only are they undermining the very profession they supposedly hold dear to their heart, they are ripping people off by selling amateur, mediocre at best work, while misrepresenting themselves and their skill level.  They are also guaranteeing that they will never have the talent or skills, that they need to become a successful professional photographer.  They are selling themselves short, their clients short, and aggravating the heck out of people who respect photography as a profession.  They also make it very difficult for people that won't hire them, because these people, unlike some, are able to see the difference between quality professional work, and the work they produce.  They all make it very difficult for these people to even find a real pro photographer to hire for their special occasion, family portraits, or senior pictures, and so on.  Don't you see, the population of these fauxtographers needs to stop growing, and get back down to a more feasible number for everyone involved?!  What can YOU do to help?  If you find yourself in what I am writing, stop and think about what you are doing, and make the necessary changes that need to be made.  If you are a pro, speak up about this issue.  “Only speaking when you have something nice to say.”  isn’t going to work at all in this instance.

How am I undermining the photography profession?  People don't HAVE to hire me to take their photos.
By the way you practice business.
By misrepresenting yourself, believing that good enough is good enough, by charging ridiculously low fees, and/or not offering a finished product, (and the list could go on, and on). You are driving the value of a photograph down faster than a sinking ship.  This affects real photography businesses too, even if they aren't directly competing with you.  By "real" professional photographer, I mean those crazy people that have invested years in learning photography and developing their skill.  The people that have invested thousands in equipment and tools that are needed to produce a quality finished product.  The people that count on their acquired knowledge, skill, tools and equipment, to feed their families everyday.  Those silly people that aren't felons and actually have a tax license, business license, and pay their income taxes.

How am I ripping anyone off by charging for my services?  My clients are always happy with their pictures.
Your client doesn't know a lick about photography.  Chances are they don't even own a camera other than a cell phone or a point and shoot.  They most likely have no interest in photography at all, but they LOVE photographs of their loved ones and of themselves.  They trust that you know more than they do, that's why you were hired.  Remember way back, just a few months ago before you got your DSLR?  Remember how you loved your pictures?  Take a look around, how many awkwardly posed cheesy school pics do you have around the house, or how many snap shots of your babies and/or friend and relatives do you absolutely cherish?  You love them, because you love the people in them.  I know I adore ALL of mine. 
Once you snap a photo of someone or their loved one, they are instantly personally invested in that photograph,  regardless of your skill level or how shoddy you edit it, the photo is truly wanted just the same. 
You post your pics and get great feedback on them.  "Oh WOW!  Great shot.  You are so talented!"  These are people that know you and like you, people who mean you well, and want to encourage you.  Seriously, ask yourself…. are they really complementing my photography skills, or do they see that my camera is more expensive than theirs, and/or the subject matter is irresistibly cute?  Chances are if you jumped into this endeavor before you learned how your camera works, before you had any understanding of light, composition, posing, exposure, shutter speed, etc before you have practiced and made a million mistakes to learn from, or before you interned, took a class, read a book, or were mentored by a professional, then it's most likely the latter.
The photograph in question is of an event that they want to remember, it's of a child they love with all their heart, their daughters first dance, etc it's of their loved ones.  People who don't know better (and this accounts for a lot of the population), are able to see right through the bad lighting, bad focus, bad exposure, and editing ect and see just the person they know and care for.  To them it is beautiful because they love or admire who is in it.  Whether knowingly or not, you are shamefully taking advantage of this fact.

I'm not misrepresenting myself,  I tell every client that I'm still learning.
You charge a session fee, you refer to them as clients, you have a price list, you market yourself, you have a business page and name, a website, business cards….Guess what?  You're in business.  You're a pro, or at least misrepresenting yourself as one.

How am I selling myself short by charging for my portraits?  That makes no sense at all! Isn't my time worth something?!
A photographer trying to learn and develop their skills first shoots for themselves.  When you shoot for other people another dynamic comes into play that isn't there when it's just for you.  Concentrating on camera settings, lighting, light manipulation, focus, composition, and all the technical aspects of photography become out weighed by, backgrounds, locations, schedules, posing, props, facial expressions, messy hair, smeared make up, crying children, and all the many details that come into play.  The important fundamentals that you are trying to learn, take a backseat.  You'll find that you get stuck right where you are with your technical skills, while you have to concentrate almost entirely on customer service, people skills, marketing, networking, and all that goes into being for hire.  You'll quickly find yourself unable to manage on the amount you are charging, but can you successfully raise prices and feel more comfortable with the work load you have vs the pay you are receiving?  Not if your product hasn't improved, or has only improved minimally.  Also these shots paid for by other people have to be processed/edited before getting in their hands.  When you shoot for yourself editing can take a back seat while you learn how to perfect your shots in camera, and then you can work on enhancing GOOD photos instead of trying to make bad or O.K. photos look better.  A little slap of reality: Your time is worth NOTHING until you have actually put time and effort into your work.  I haven't heard of any profession that pays while you learn how to become said profession.  I do believe it works the other way around. 

If I ever become a professional photographer, I will take the necessary steps to make sure I am successful at it, or at the very least have a fighting chance.  No one will be taken advantage of including me.  I will have a complete understanding of how my camera, and all of my equipment works.  I will have an understanding of light, how to use and manipulate both natural and studio light to my advantage, how to use off camera flash for successful strobe photography.  I will have the skills and knowledge necessary to produce quality work consistently.  I will have a business license, I will pay my taxes, I will price my work at it's true value, and insure that I am also getting paid, and my equipment can be maintained and regularly updated.  I will give my clients finished products and they will NOT be circular in shape.

Until then, I will leave the professional photography up to the professionals, and continue to wear my amateur label very proudly.  I also promise to always aspire to improve my photography for myself, for others who view my images, and for my possible future clients.  If anyone out there feels as though I was talking to you in this open letter of mine, I invite you to join me.  No, I BEG and PLEAD for you to join me.  Take down those price lists, and business websites, take some of the pressure off, and feel free to discover how good your photography can be.  Go ahead, put on an "I'm an amateur" hat, and come have a seat next to me, so we can share in a slice of humble pie.  Reality, It's a fantastic place to be :)

12 comments:

  1. Well written and right to the point. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,
    I felt the need to say a couple of things after my rant on fb..... I do think your blog is truthful, helpful, well written and in any other circumstance would not have caused any animosty. Believe me as a hairdresser I could write a book about the things I have had to fix as a result of "kitchen beauticians". If I had come across this on any given day I would have read it, taken it in stride and continued my journey to learn more about photography. I envy great photographers and know that it's not a point and shoot that gets you incredible pictures there is alot more involved and I respect that. I just wanted to say it is not the article that got my big girl panties in a bunch, it was the manner it was presented and the original comments that were attached to it. Any way, enough said..... Great article, Keep Posting. "you know, Maybe I will get it.. One Day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see where her statements were in anyway anything but undirected generalizations towards the situation as a whole. Perhaps you don't realize just how saturated fauxtography has become, and this is why it felt so personal to you. I know I was shocked to learn just how bad things really were out there. Just blown away! In my small apartment complex alone there are 5 photography businesses, none of which are legit in anyway. Go ahead and pick any name you can think of out of the air, put "photography" after the name and google it. I did this once and 7 out of 10 names I chose were photography businesses, and only one was legitimately in business, and I probably was just lucky finding that one.
      Why does this concern me so much? Well for starters when I draw up a first year business plan to shoot part time for just minimum wage, figure in all of my expenses and costs for doing business, I have to charge $200+ per session and average aprox 2 sessions a week or 100 sessions a year. Now imagine trying to justify those prices to my future clients when there are several people in our neighborhood alone that happily give it away. Yes, I will have the skill and finished product to back it up, and it wont be impossible, but it definitely doesn't make things easy. Makes my stomach turn just a bit to think I will have to constantly justify my minimum wage, and how hard it will be to get ahead and actually start making good enough money to go full time. Is it up to a new business to worry about other people's businesses, no. and there is nothing wrong with pricing competitively, But a new business should at least examine how they are practicing business for themselves. First they need to know how their camera works, and actually be a photographer (so many skip this step it baffles my mind), then Make sure they are legal, and insured and protected, and by all means make sure they are pricing themselves for profit. This not only helps them, and their clients, but it helps the entire industry as a whole. If you aren't in it for the money, then don't be in it for the money. Take down the pricing, quit with the marketing and selling and "specials", and relax and enjoy being a student of photography. Step down and help someone who aspires to go pro be able to achieve that goal, all while not making established pros bang their head against the wall. These people have families to provide for, they took the time to learn a skill so they can provide a professional service for people, and aren't just fly by night picture takers looking to find popularity. Everybody wins, and the photography climate becomes more "normal" again and as it should be

      Delete
    2. As a general statement you have a point.. As a statement toward me you have no point. At no time have I called my self photography anything, at no point have put up a price list, marketed or sold anything. But, I might. You can compare this to any industry that you want.... There is a great clips or smart style on every corner, there are 15 salons within a two block radius of mine... I get it believe me. It only takes one bad haircut or in this case session for people to go back to quote unquote professionals. I don't have to have a great hair cut sale to keep my clients and I am confident in that. The same way that I feel photographers should be confident in their own abilities, skills etc. I know that at the end of the day I have provided a service that is worth while, as good or better than anyone else when it comes to my own profession, and after a day of taking pictures of people I have filled myself with the joy of doing something I like, I am confident in my skills. For heavens sakes if you wanna try a great clips go ahead, I will be here waiting to fix that cut when you get done. If someone is not happy with the pictures I have taken then I can bet someone else will be willing to take them again. Once someone makes the mistake of getting a bad job, they won't do it again, and once you or whoever has won them over with your talent/skill/knowledge you have a customer for life that will recommend you any chance they get. That's all you can ask for, it's how good your service is that brings them back, you get what you pay for, therefore if you don't mind "medicore" pics/haircuts then great that leaves me room for someone who would like for me to do a service for them. Fauxtographers are not trying to steal from you they are simply trying to accomplish the same thing you did, Even if they are going about it the wrong way. And besides that if I wanna take a million pictures for my family/ friends for free everyday and go to walgreens and have them printed and then that's what I am gonna do.

      The entire point of my original post on here is lost. I simply wanted to say it was not the article that caused animosity. I compliment you on your writing skills and hope that someday you can be a real photogrpaher too, in the meantime I will continue to do something that makes me happy regardless of how it makes anyone else feel. There's nothing wrong with a little competition to keep "professionals" on top of their game.

      Delete
    3. If you haven't opened up shop and haven't had paying clients how could this statement be about or directed at you in anyway?
      "I feel the need to post this again... (link to this article) and it's ok to learn, but it's those who buy their camera and one month, two month, maybe 3 months later are taking clients? LEARN...."
      I am fairly confident that in no way was her statement or this article directed towards you. It's directed towards people who started a photography business based on nothing but owning a camera. Without learning first. It's not for a hairstylist (I was a licensed hairstylist for 13 years BTW *knuckles* ) who just posted some pictures of her family or friends on facebook she just took for fun. It wasn't meant to be taken personally at all, and unless you started a business with out first learning how your camera works, I wouldn't expect it to be taken personally. Even then, it's still business related and not a personal bash of any sort. I like your hairstylist analogy, I can relate to it perfectly. but what if no license or schooling was required to cut hair, and people were opening salons in their homes on the streets, without paying taxes, possessing insurance, acquiring business licenses or contacting state board. Imagine no state board. Imagine no regulation. We aren't talking just about the difference between BoRics and a high end salon here. For one, you CAN get a good technically correct haircut and pleasant experience at BoRics or Fantastic Sams or Great clips. This also holds true the other way around. You can go into a high end salon, pay for the best of the best and still find yourself going home wishing you could hide under a rock. It's NOT the location, it's the stylist.

      I don't think Fauxs are stealing clients away from real photographers. I don't think either of us ever said that. I don't think they ever could. But they DO make things muddy and messy for all involved, and they DO affect the value of the photograph and photography services in a very negative way.

      Delete
    4. and imagine having to explain to every new client that walked through the door, why you don't give a free shampoo and finished style with every hair cut like everyone else is doing, and why it's taking so long? Everyone else is so much quicker. Every new client, everyday..day in and day out asking "why?" and then top that off with seeing advertising like "Don't pay hidden charges like those other hairstylists charge. A good hair cut should be affordable for everyone." and imagine if there were actually semi talented hairstylists charging 50 cents for haircuts right outside your door. Would you feel compelled to say something? Would you never say a word about it, and only worry about what YOU yourself were doing? or would you try to do something about it? Would you talk to that talented stylist and try to tell her what you know to be true? Would you try to teach your clients and potential future clients what you know? Would you help someone who was thinking about becoming a hairstylist how to go about it properly?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One point worth considering: hair stylists are required to pass a cosmetology test and be licensed before they can cut hair for clients. There is no sort of test/competency exam for photographers (although there is a certified professional photographer program that is optional, only 8% of the world's photographers are certified)
    I don't think comparing hair stylists to photographers is fair. One requires you to prove you know what you're doing, one has you picking up a camera at costco and declaring you're a pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Stephanie.
      The only profession that I can come up with, that's it's not required by law, to prove you can do the job properly, and it's an individual's own decision whether they're a pro or not. Still it boggles my brain, how many people out there that don't feel it nessesary to first prove they can create professional quality work consistently and reliably, BEFORE they charge for this professional service. Don't people take any pride in what they do anymore? And the blatant lack of respect for those who created this industry just kills me. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I'm not even a pro, and I feel that knife in my back twisting.

      Something to ponder: If it was decided to lift the laws and regulations of cosmetology, would the industry become over saturated with "kitchen beauticians"?

      If not, is it because there is a higher respect for the profession than photography? Why?

      Delete